Bethel’s Iron Chef Cook-off

Last week, Bethel hosted a number of fun activities and events as part of our 2015 Spring Fling. One of my personal favorites was the Iron Chef Cook-off.

Similar to the popular TV show, contestants were given limited ingredients and a time constraint of one hour to prepare an appetizer, entreé and drink for the judges.

Ingredients ranged from eggs, to pineapple, to whipped cream to a myriad of spices and seasonings. Oh and one catch — we had to incorporate the “secret ingredient” into our appetizer and entree. The secret ingredient was revealed to be scallops, a type of seafood. My team and I were utterly confused as how to incorporate this into our meal, as none of us had ever cooked with scallops before.

Somehow, we pulled off a bruschetta appetizer (topped with sauteéd scallops of course) as well as a mango-scallop fried rice with tropical infused sweet tea to drink.

Bruschetta

Entreé

Sweet Tea

Although we did not win the $100 prize for first place, we had a blast cooking and laughing with each other.

My team of expert chefs

My team of expert chefs

Everyone who attended made some interesting and yummy food, and the whole thing was a great turnout. I can’t wait for next year’s Iron Chef Cook-off!

-Kiley