Extraordinary Hospitality in Dallas

(Sunday, March 22)

We have only been on tour for two days, but already I am overwhelmed with the incredible hospitality we have experienced.

First in Harper, Kansas — where a congregation the size of our choir (or smaller) not only provided supper, but hosted all 45 of us overnight, and then packed sack lunches for the next day.

Saturday afternoon, we were jointly hosted by Edmond Trinity Christian Church and Joy Mennonite Church (of Oklahoma City) in Edmond, Oklahoma. After the concert we were treated to, as I heard it described, “the faspa to end all faspas.”

This morning, we had the privilege of worshipping with Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church’s sister congregation, Iglesia Luz del Evangelio, in Dallas, Texas.

Choir tour2015.Luz

I think I can speak for the entire group when I say that this was one of the most (if not THE most) dynamic church services that I have ever been a part of! The energy and exuberance that this congregation worships with is truly extraordinary. Although we come from different backgrounds and spoke in different languages, it was clear that we were welcomed into their church not just as visitors, but as brothers and sisters in Christ. It was a moving experience to sing for an audience that was so engaged in the music.

After the service we were led out to the lawn behind the church for a lunch of tamales, tacos, flan and many other authentic Mexican dishes. This also gave us the chance to talk with the members of the congregation and make connections.

As we continue on to Houston, and then Galveston, I’m looking forward to all of the fantastic people we have yet to encounter. I also hope that we can take these experiences to heart and learn to practice such hospitality in our everyday lives.

–Erin Regier