Bethel Fall Fest 2013

This week was a crazy time on Bethel campus! For students, professors, maintenance, and anyone else connected with planning any part of fall fest. As a student, I love this time of year! Each day this past week I got more and more excited as there were more tents and chairs set up everyday (a big thank you to the people who helped with this). It got really difficult to focus on school work as the week went on. Who would want to read a text book when fall fest was so close??

fall festFor many students at Bethel the fun started Thursday evening with Taste of Newton. Instead of going to the caf for supper, many of us drove over to main street for the annual Newton celebration. A big section of main street was blocked off and was, instead, full of tents and tables with foods and other goods. There is always quite the variety of booths at Taste of Newton; a few that stood out to me were the fire pit for making smores, the homemade root beer stand, and the verenike booth. Verenike is my favorite thing to eat at Taste of Newton, but I also saw lots of other good foods: ice cream, chinese food, mexican food, corn on the cob, grilled chicken, and much more. There are normally great entertainment options also: dancers, martial art displays, and many different musical groups. It was a fun evening!

Next was the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) symposium. This started Friday afternoon and continued again Saturday morning. Three Bethel alumni presented on the topic of chemistry. I found what they had to say very interesting, but I was also reminded about how little I know about chemistry! Also on Saturday morning was the Kidron Bethel Country Breakfast to which my sister, a friend, and myself were invited by a lovely lady from my home church. Though it was early, it was definitely worth it! The dining hall at Kidron was filled with smiling faces and delicious breakfast foods!

Finally Bethel Fall Fest arrived! My first activity of the day was working the Bethel Social work booth. We were selling all sorts of good cookies and some awesome v-neck t shirts. Jacob Miller and I were quite the sales people! Next, I had half an hour to talk to millions of people and eat all the lunch I could. First, I got some zwiebach and then I ran over to the verenike booth. Thankfully my older brother was there to buy me and some others some delicious verenike! As I was quickly eating this, I went over to the culture shock booth to help serve curry. It seemed like the curry was quite a hit! After this, I took a few laps around all of the booths, stopped by the bookstore and Mojo’s, and then went over to the volleyball game.

fall fest gameLater I took a nap and then went over to a tail gate before the football game. Thanks to the Rudeen/Goering family for the food and fellowship! The football game was cold, but fun! The boys fought hard, but ended up losing. Finally I went over to Reba’s with some friends to listen to the Bethel jazz combo 1 perform.

Sunday morning I got up early to warm up for the Bethel college concert choir performance at Bethel College Mennonite Church. The church was very full and it was a great service! It was a great fall fest!