Music, Music, and More Music

This weekend was a very busy weekend for choir members on Bethel campus.

On Friday the Concert Choir was invited to sing a few songs at the Día de Los Muertos service at the Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church. Being a Mennonite who grew up in a town with a majority being Mennonite it was a very good experience to be able to be a part of – in attendance and in singing.

On Saturday the Women’s Chorus had a rehearsal in preparation for the concert on Sunday. My sister Miranda and I had been originally planning on singing a duet together for the concert but because I got hit with the bad cold/sore throat bug that affected my voice we were not able to, which was especially frustrating for me because it is Miranda’s last semester in Women’s Chorus. But no fear! Miranda is still going to sing our duet with me in the spring concert!

Sunday was the busiest day of all. In the morning Concert Choir sang for the Shalom Mennonite Church service. It was so fun singing there for them. I felt so close to the music and to everyone around me. They were also very gracious and served a potluck after the service that we were invited to. The food was delicious! Although no surprise there because if you go to a Mennonite church potluck you can definitely expect for the food to be great:). Then in the early part of the afternoon was the Men’s Ensemble concert in the chapel. I unfortunately was not able to attend because I had to get ready for my concert but I heard it went very well.

At 4 p.m. was the Women’s Chorus concert at Bethel College Mennonite Church and we had a good turnout. It went very well and was a lot of fun for me even though I couldn’t sing the duet with my sister. One of my favorite parts was being able to enter and exit singing the song “This Little Light of Mine” soulfully which was led by April Harpe.

An “epiphany” I guess you could call it that I had during this weekend when I was sick and could hardly sing was realizing just how important music and singing is in my life. Singing has always been an essential part of my life. When I was young I would sing with my sister, we would take turns singing for the video camera or we would dance around and sing Disney movie songs together. Growing up I would sing in church and in all the school choirs. I would also sing with my family and my sister and I would sing songs for them too. Singing is a way to express myself, a way to connect with the people around me whether they are singing or just listening and it is also a way to give praise to God. When I didn’t really have a voice and could hardly sing these past few days it really made me think about the importance of music and how sometimes I take advantage of the ability to sing. Music can express things in a way words cannot. Music can connect and bring people together in a way that words alone cannot. Music can give words meaning that just speaking them cannot. Music in my life, is essential.

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” – Aldous Huxley

“Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”- Victor Hugo