Year 2: The Beginning

And so it begins. We’re all back at Bethel now and classes have started.

It’s my second year here, and my second year of blogging, but for those of you who don’t know I am Megan Leary, sophomore math major and blogger extraordinaire. Just kidding. I really am a math major though.

I grew up right here in North Newton and wasn’t an official “campus kid” but sure spent a lot of my childhood at Bethel. There were summer camps, plays, sporting events, church events and all other sorts of reasons to be on campus.

Once I started looking for colleges, my first instinct was to get the heck out of Dodge and go anywhere but Bethel. I looked closely at all sorts of college junk mail and majors and found myself comparing everything to the awesomeness that is Bethel. I started asking questions like, “Can I get a music scholarship and play in band without being a music major?” or “Can I write for the school newspaper having not a lot of experience in my high school paper?” or my favorite question, “Am I going to be able to talk to my math professor/advisor/other professors like real people instead of angry, robotic, incredibly pompous brains with no emotions?”

Turns out Bethel was a good place for all those things, and not very many other schools are. I wizened up my senior year and did all the stuff I had to do to get in. And we all lived happily ever after.