Being Social

I’ve recently asked myself, “what sort of situation must I be in that allows me to forget birthdays, social engagements and how to be social???”The answer: student teaching last semester of senior yearHowever– there are still wonderful campus activities and friends that allow me to excuse myself for some fun and relearning the art of being social.A little over a week ago I took advantage of the Hesston-Bethel Performing Arts concert series and heard the amazing South African group, Ladysmith Black Mambazo. The HBPA concert series invites big name groups (these guys have won a Grammy), and Bethel College students get to attend these concerts for free, either in our own Memorial Hall, or just down the road at Hesston College. Ladysmith Black Mambazo’s combination of mellow and fun gave me an evening of entertainment and a chance to get out of my mod. I laughed often, and my ears were satisfied; after leaving choir it seems like it’s been awhile since I’ve heard good a capella. This past week I was extra daring and went to Wichita for free ice skating. Our Student Activities Council planned this event for a Tuesday, so some students had to commit to night classes or practice schedules; however, SAC offered free admission to all students who brought their student id. Luckily the event started early in the evening, so I could still make it to my student teaching bedtime… it’s so early I’m embarrassed to mention it here. But I had a blast catching up with one of my modmates and getting in a tough leg workout. (my calves are still kickin’)And now, this week I’m incredibly excited about the weekend performance of Die Fleidermaus, Bethel’s Spring Opera. MANY of my friends are involved and I’ve heard great things now that the costumes, set, music and choreography are all coming together. Another chance to have an evening off, and I’m looking forward to it. So while my social activities can’t be daily or nightly; I’m gone too often for the campus life I’m used to, I at least get to look forward to something every once in awhile. It keeps me connected to the campus.