Reflections on Fall Break

I come to this message a bit scatterbrained. A little confused (where did October go?) Perhaps not the most rested.Fall Break did bring welcome respite; I got to go home and visit my parents, who are struggling with an empty nest now that my younger sister is doing service in England. I got to see old friends who live too far away, and spend time in one of my favorite places.And all that was wonderful, and needed.But did I get any homework done? Not a chance…I returned to the academic rigors I had left and ignored; they were still here waiting for me. I wrote my first exegesis! As a senior that is a big accomplishment, since I didn’t take the underclassman Intro to Biblical Studies that most of my classmates had been through for their exegesis training. Never mind that I struggled for many long hours and proved that my perfectionism and over-achieving proved a bit unhelpful at 10 pm. I also came back to the choir community, preparing to sing on Sunday and working our way towards Europe in January. This also means I returned to payments with money I don’t have… but hey! you only live once. As I get older I do feel more protective of savings and security, but I also feel a pull to make the most of the opportunities I’m given, and if my fourth year of college offers a cross-cultural trip to Europe, I will take it.I returned to a mod of women who are willing to take up the extra tasks necessary so that I can spend a whole day writing papers in the library. My roommate even decorated a bathroom stall with pictures of Ireland for me… mm, perhaps that sounds silly, but meaningful for me none the less. Though trips to my Iowa home are always sanctuary and restful, I am forever grateful to get to the end of the break and comfortably say “I’m on my way home now” to the friend who calls to see how many more hours I have left on the road. As a senior I get sentimental, wondering how I will make it without a choir to sing in, a mod to come back to, homework to keep me busy, a community surrounding me as my neighborhood… A break from school is welcome, but I am eager to stay here where I am happy and supported. Because this place has become so important to me, it is easy to fear how quickly the end will come, how much time has passed already, rather than realize only two months have gone by, the rest of the year lies ahead yet. And just so you readers know, I am keeping in step with my to-do list from the beginning of the year quite nicely. The next three weekends include 3 concerts/shows in Wichita and Lawrence…