Staying positive and staying warm

Positivity amid the cold weather

Let’s be honest — I think everyone is tired of this cold weather.  Who wouldn’t like to be outside in 75 degree weather wearing shorts and sandals right now?  I know I sure wouldn’t mind.  Whether we like it or not though, this Kansas weather is beyond the realm of our control.  From the bone-chilling morning temperatures that bring snow to the warm sun that shines five minutes later, our best bet is to accept it and try not to let the weather bring us down.

I’ll be the first to admit that I do enjoy change.  New semesters that bring different classes, a haircut, or even a change to the background picture on my phone give me a new, fresh feeling.  Why not look at the weather the same way?  After all, not everyone here at Bethel comes from an area where he or she can indulge in the luxury of four seasons a year (or sometimes a day).  As someone who likes change, I’m always ready for a new season to arrive.  Back in October, I couldn’t wait for the snow to come, just for a change of scenery.  It was something new and exciting that I hadn’t seen in a year.  So even though I wake up in the morning and dread walking to class in the freezing temperature, I can rest assured knowing that spring is well on its way.  It will surely come in its due time, just like winter did.

By the time next fall rolls around, I’ll be wishing the snow was back on the ground again.  So instead of being bitter about the even more bitter temperatures, let’s enjoy the rest of the winter season while we can.  That way, when the leaves on the trees do decide to come back, we will enjoy the fresh smell of spring and the mornings we can finally go out without coats that much more.  –Kiley Varney