Today is reading day, which is the day before finals start in which we have no classes and can study and prepare for our finals. It’s crazy to think that this time of the year is already here. To help relieve some of the stress of finals, I find it helpful to remember some easy ways to reduce stress to get me through studying and through finals week.
Five tips to reduce stress courtesy of the Huffington post article : “23 Scientifically-Backed Ways to Reduce Stress Right Now”
1. Progressive Relaxation – I have actually used this before and it has been very helpful. You start at your head and move all the way to your toes, tensing and then releasing/relaxing each muscle group. Once the body is fully relaxed, it is supposed to help relax your mind too.
2. Breathe Deep – Yes, sometimes it can be as simple as that! It has been proven that taking deep breaths lower cortisol levels which helps to reduce stress and anxiety.
3. Listen to Music – There has been research showing music can help relieve stress by triggering biochemical stress reducers. Another good reason for me to listen to music!
4. Exercise - If you need a brain break from all your studying or work, go exercise! Research says that post-exercise endorphin rush is a good way to sharply reduce stress.
5. Take a Nap - If you aren’t feeling exercise for a brain break, try taking a power nap instead! This also has been shown to reduce cortisol levels which aids in stress relief. This tip will definitely come in handy for me personally!
So whether you are like me and studying for finals, or in the education field and rushing to get everything done before the end of the school year, or just having a stressful time in work or in general, remember these easy tips to reduce stress and stay tuned for some more stress-reducing tips!