Things I’m Thankful for at Bethel

While your Facebook might be covered in your friends’ statuses giving thanks during the month of November, I thought I’d do my own version of what I’m thankful for, as a student of Bethel College. After four years here I have a lot to be thankful for, so check out my list:

1. I’m thankful for the opportunity to attend a college and especially one with as much prestige as Bethel. It’s the only private college in Kansas to be ranked on Forbes.com as one of “America’s Best Colleges,” now that’s pretty awesome!

My friend and teammate, April Harpe and I before our first game.

With my friend and teammate, April Harpe before our first game.

2. I’m thankful for the professors and staff that help make Bethel such a wonderful place. I’ve been privileged to have many that encourage me to become a better student and more importantly a better person. They’ve taught me a great deal about the world and exposed me to new ideas.

3. I’m thankful to be able to play on the basketball team and along with that be coached by some great people. I’m lucky just to have the opportunity to play a collegiate sport. My coaches  at Bethel have confidence in me and push me everyday to get better.

4. In addition to that I’m thankful for the friends I’ve made on and off the court. The ladies I play with motivate me daily and inspire me to work harder. My friends are always there for me when I need to vent, study, or take a break from the stresses of college. They help me to be more outgoing and allow me to enjoy my time here.

5.  I’m thankful to live on a beautiful campus that is also abundant in squirrels (I have an obsession with them). It is truly a gorgeous campus and one that I’m pretty proud of.

Nolan dresses as Shrek on Halloween.

Nolan dressed as Shrek on Halloween.

6.  I’m thankful to have a cafeteria that is full of friendly people and a food service director, Nolan Corne who works to make it a welcoming place (especially on Halloween). The cafeteria has improved significantly since I first came here and for that I am extremely thankful!

7. Another part of my Bethel experience has been the time spent with my host family. Ron and Carol Peters who welcome several students into their home for meals and come support our many events. They can be spotted in the stands of basketball games or crowds of music concerts, usually bearing goodies for us!

8. While I have many things to be thankful for at this college, I’m especially thankful to be a part of this wonderful community. It is supportive of the students and provides a space for lasting relationships. I’m thankful to be a student at Bethel College and that I am able to enjoy all it has to offer.

~Samantha