From Summer to School

Hello! My name is Michelle Unruh. I’m a junior from Goessel, Kansas studying music education. I am pretty involved at Bethel, which keeps me very busy. I’m involved in many musical ensembles on campus. I play bass clarinet in the wind ensemble. I also am an alto in the Concert Choir and Woven, Bethel’s student-led women’s a capella ensemble. I also enjoy taking piano and organ lessons. This year, I am also directing a choir at a church in the area, which I am really looking forward to!

I just finished my second summer in a row at Camp Friedenswald in Cassopolis, Michigan. Last year, I was on rotational staff and worked as a counselor, maintenance, and in the kitchen. I really enjoyed my summer, so I decided to go back for a second summer. This past summer, I spent ten weeks on the leadership staff. I was on the worship team and played guitar for Campfire and Quest, our morning worship time. I also helped to plan skits, devotions that each cabin used daily, and the summer’s theme, Rooted and Growing (Ephesians 3:16-17). In my spare time, I enjoyed leading activities such as Greased Watermelon or Whipped Cream Whiffleball, taking campers on pontoon rides on Lake Shavehead, going on hikes in the Peaceful Woods, or just relaxing on the beach. I had fun getting to know the other staffers as well as the campers that came to Camp Friedenswald. Being at camp was quite exhausting at times, but it was such a rewarding summer job. This was definitely a summer to remember!

I’m so excited for this semester! I have finished my general education courses, and I’m really enjoying all of the music and education classes that I am enrolled in. We’re halfway through our first week of classes, and the homework, assignments, and projects are starting to pile up. I had a really great summer working at Camp Friedenswald, but it is so good to be back at Bethel College with my fellow Threshers. I’m excited to see what this semester has in store for us!