Last First Day

My name is Claire Unruh. I am a senior at Bethel, dual-majoring in Biology and Bible & Religion, with minors in Spanish and Chemistry. I am originally from Clay Center, Kansas, which is about an hour and a half drive to the north. My parents met at Bethel and so I’ve always been to Fall Fest and a few assorted activities on campus, such as the Summer Science Institute. Once I reached my senior year of high school, I looked into their science program (excellent), campus size (small) and probability of being involved in activities (high). Based on these criteria, I decided to apply and was accepted.

Since I’ve been here, I’ve been a photographer for The Collegian – the school’s twice-monthly newspaper, a peer tutor, a laboratory assistant for a biology class, a member of the Rock Climbing and Spanish clubs, and a co-leader of a new worship group on campus. Bethel is a great place to get involved in things that you already enjoy and new things to enjoy. For example, I didn’t know that I enjoyed rock climbing or theater photography until I came here! Turns out…

This past Monday was my last first day of school. It’s a little weird, knowing that 16 years of formal education is nearly over. This semester looks like loads of fun – Neurobiology, Pathophysiology, Jesus and the Gospels and Philosophy of Religion. Pretty heavy on the Biology/Bible classes, but that’s just fine with me! I hope you’ll enjoy reading the student blog posts this year – they’re a pretty good slice of life at Bethel College.